(Makes 8-10 medium size wraps)
Hello guys! I have been busy with other projects the last couple of weeks but now I am back in business with a great breakfast/brunch recipe.
This recipe is essentially a breakfast wrap. It is comprised of miso mushrooms, scrambled tofu, guacamole and spinach, and is the perfect healthy, hearty and super tasty breakfast, brunch or even lunch option! A couple of these wraps will satisfy your carbohydrates, protein and veggie needs for the morning!
The secret to this scrambled tofu lies in the use of a salt called Kala namak, often referred to as ‘black himalayan salt’. It has a purple tinge to it and a strong eggy smell which is a bit strange until you want to make a vegan egg dish.. in which case its awesome.
I made the wheat tortillas by hand, but I will not be posting the recipe here as I don’t want to overwhelm anyone from attempting the following recipes by giving the idea you need to make the tortillas.
Are you ready? Here we go then!
300g firm tofu (crumbled into small pieces)
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 white onion (finely sliced)
1 tsp Kala Namak (black salt)
1. Heat the oil in a pan, add the sliced onion and the black salt and cook for about 5-6 minutes on medium low heat until they are nicely caramelised (they will begin to go translucent and brown).
2. Add the spices and cook for a further 2 minutes, then add the tofu, cooking everything together for 2 minutes. If the tofu gets a bit dry then add another tablespoon of olive oil.
400g mushrooms (sliced 1cm thick)
2 cloves garlic (sliced roughly)
50g concentrated tomato paste
30g brown miso
20g tamari or strong soy sauce
1 tsp salt
A pinch of black pepper
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat the olive oil in a pan on high heat, add the mushrooms, salt and garlic and cook until mushrooms have browned.
2. With a whisk mix all the other ingredients together in a bowl and add the sauce to the mushrooms, cook for 2 minutes until the sauce becomes sticky.
2 large avocados (scooped out and mashed with a fork)
1 tomato (diced)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 limes (juiced)
1 tbsp finely diced shallot
1 tsp himalayan salt
a small handful chopped cilantro
1. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and voila! HOLY GUACAMOLE!
Putting them together
For this step you will need:
• Tortilla wraps of your choice
• 2 cups finely sliced spinach
1. Fill your wrap with equal amounts of guacamole, mushrooms and scrambled tofu.. wrap them and pop them in the oven for 6-8 minutes in an oven preheated to 190 degrees celsius.
2. Take them out, cut them in half and enjoy.. you may wish to serve them with your favourite chilli sauce, but for me and my friends they were good to eat straight from the oven!
Check them out!
Big shout out to Beatriz Moliz (instagram: beatrizmoliz) for helping me in the kitchen to create this recipe and for taking such great pictures! Here are some extra pictures of me enjoying the wraps! They were not posed I promise 😉
Go ahead and try them for yourselves, you won’t regret it!
and please let me know how you go in the comments!